Tuesday 1 January 2008

A NEW YEAR POST

2008 has arrived. A new year, for new resolutions and new goals.

Goal No. 1 – To finish up my Masters and be done with it. I don’t think the University is going to wait for me to dither any longer.

Goal No. 2 – To reach my target weight loss. Hopefully the few thousand dollars spent on Yoga/Gym membership will help.

Goal No. 3 – To participate in an international mahjong tournament.

The last was made as I was navigating through the photos of the 2007 World Mahjong Championship (WMC) on Tom Sloper’s website. E-Mei Mountain! How cool is that?! Just looking through the photos posted gave me goose pimples. How I wish for the day when a Singapore flag can be hoisted alongside all the rest and I could be one of the participants sitting in that grand hall, at the green felt table, cool tiles under my hand!

I was squinting hard to see what I could of the hands the players were making in the photos. Really interested to know how others play and the various strategies employed. I wouldn’t have minded just being a kibitzer in the tournament. And the exciting finales - what an experience!

In the meantime, it is hard to even get our weekly games going, with all the sundry happenings in our busy lives. Poor EP is probably thoroughly frustrated at trying to coordinate something and I fully sympathise. I just hope that the situation will improve further on into the year. It is also my New Year Wish for further developments on the local MCR scene and that we may see more active participation soon.

A Happy New Year to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn't the Lunar New Year trigger more Mahjong sessions for the local MCR team?