Saturday 24 April 2010

A DILEMMA OF SORTS

I sometimes feel as if I am caught between my Chinese roots and the modern society.

Take a few Sundays back, when we had to make our offerings for Qing Ming at the columbarium. There was a regular bonfire going as every family took their turns to burn their offerings. As I watched the incense papers and fake paper currencies catch fire, the smoke and ashes flying around, no doubt bound for underworld banks, I had this strong moment of conflict.

It was just Earth Day the day before, and the very next day we were all there at the columbarium happily burning papers, emitting CO2 like there is no tomorrow (and there probably won’t be if things continue the way they are). I am no tree hugger, but it didn’t seem quite right that we were doing what we were doing when we were faced with environmental issues everywhere we turn. Yet I am cognizant of the need to ensure the Chinese traditions continue, because I am aware that it gives rise to a richer and more vibrant Chinese culture, and a sense of identity for me as a local Chinese. I had spoken to my younger mainland Chinese colleagues who, as a result of the Cultural Revolution, have totally no access to all these traditions and mores, and I can feel the difference it makes.

And so, how do I justify one over the other?

No comments: