Saturday 24 April 2010

A QUICK RANT ABOUT THE ROMANIAN ACCIDENT SITUATION

Note: This was written two weeks back. Things have apparently been moving, although I am wondering how much of it is only for show on the Romanian side. At any rate, I decided to publish my feelings at that point in time.


There are several things in the papers recently that make me rather indignant for various reasons. One is the whole situation regarding that Romanian Silviu Ionescu. There are a lot of epithets I want to attach before his name, but I shall refrain in the name of civilisation, something which seems to be quite unknown to him anyway.

Then there is the reaction of the Romanian government and media. One would have thought that I should have gotten used to all the slights and indignations Singapore had been made to bear all these years by virtue of our small size, small market, and political insignificance in the international arena etc. This Romanian situation is but another one in a long list. But such things are not easy to swallow. It is fortunate that I do not run the foreign ministry, because my knee jerk reaction would have been to cut off all diplomatic relations pronto. It is not like there is anything to lose on our part anyway.

But perhaps there is no need to do anything to avenge ourselves. Romania seems to be struggling within image issues already anyway, as evinced here. Good luck down the slippery slope. As for Mr Ionescu, there is no immunity to karma. Good luck too.

No comments: