Friday 9 April 2010

A MOMENT OF STUPIDITY

My internet died on me last Friday and try as I might, I could not resuscitate it, not even after a combined 1.5 hours spent with the technical help hotline. So I gave up and begged them to send a technician to the house to see what was happening.


Now I admit that I am somewhat of a technology dinosaur, but I fancied that I was at least not one of those users who become stories that technicians trade during their off moments. So I was quite sure after lots of trying to get things to work that whatever that caused my internet to die was nothing to with me, and I had a ready-drafted email to my ISP about how lousy their service was, only after one month usage.

So the technician came, he insouciantly saw, and he finally conquered. By plucking out the telephone line from the Data socket and re-plugging into the Phone socket. And he said, let there be light, and there was light, blinking all over the previously inert modem. And I saw the light, and it was good. I had my internet back, all in five minutes.

And in the meantime, my jaw was hanging open, and I was pointing to the socket and stammering “But…but…but…I…I…I didn’t touch that at all….and it was working fine before this….” The sounds of a person still trying to avoid death by embarrassment.

I am not sure exactly what shade of red I was the remaining time he spent filling out the completion form. And I can just imagine the conversation he will have with his colleagues when he gets back into the office. About that stupid woman who can’t tell her phone connection from her data point. Italics intended.

But anyway, I got my internet back. And it is good.

No comments: